Blueberry Bronson Prediction Game

We Are Expecting! Due Date Is August 3, 2010!

Tune in to see how Baby Bronson is developing and the challenges and joys that Adam and I face.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

34 weeks


This morning we had our 34 week check up, and we met with one of the other doctors in the practice that could possibly be on-call when we go into labor. Everything still looks good. My tummy is measuring not too large and not too small, and Anders's heartbeat is just right. Next week we begin our weekly doctor's visits.

According to the books, Anders is anywhere from 19-22 inches in length....probably what he will be when he is born. He weighs around 5 lbs and should gain more as he fattens up. The books say he is about the size of a pineapple.

My Braxton Hicks contractions are everyday now and increasing in intensity, and I also feel like the baby has dropped as I am really beginning to feel uncomfortable (crampy and back pain). And no change in position, drinking a small glass of red wine (although that is a treat!), or drinking a ton of water helps them to stop.

Because of these symptoms I was sure that the doc this morning would say, "Oh yes, Mrs. Bronson, you could go into labor any day now," when, in fact he actually said, "Great! Sounds like you are getting a lot of warm up from those contractions....that's wonderful! Everything looks great!" Neither is a bad or wrong answer, but the cliche of "I am so ready to have this baby!" has totally kicked in.

Having read a few books and talked to some other girlfriends, it sounds as though there are different levels of "miserable." My pregnancy has been so unbelievably without complications or major scares that I was beginning to think that I must be carrying an immaculate baby, but I suppose any good run of luck must end at some point. (And really, I know I have nothing to complain about because this blessing is worth any amount of discomfort or pain that may come.)

BUT....let me describe this phase of what most people would call "miserable" because my beast has many forms. Sometimes it is the unbelievable balloon that my tummy becomes by the end of the day when you feel like you just need to deflate somehow and no position brings relief. Sometimes the beast tightens my stomach into a tight, tight ball (a basketball size with more of a bowling ball feel) and doesn't release for a good 60-90 seconds. This usually draws out some of that lamaze/birthing breathing that we have been practicing in case I can't have an epidural. Other times it is that "cannot possibly get enough sleep" because of the errands, cleaning, and work that need to be done during the day in addition to the at least five bathroom breaks in the night accompanied by the "why is it always so damn hot?!" awakening that usually happens around 1:00 a.m.

All I ever want to do now is lie in bed very propped up with the air turned way down or sit in my inflatable pool in the backyard in my old bikini (yes...the one where my tummy hangs out because it is cooler than my more conservative tankini that I wear in public). Everything is quickly becoming a real effort, and this 100 degree Texas heat is totally my enemy. In any case, I hear that I don't even know "miserable" yet, and the best (or worst!) is yet to come.

But it is ALL WORTH IT! It is hard to live in the now when the future seems so incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment