Blueberry Bronson Prediction Game

We Are Expecting! Due Date Is August 3, 2010!

Tune in to see how Baby Bronson is developing and the challenges and joys that Adam and I face.

Friday, May 7, 2010

And Now for Something Different...

Here it is, the first guest post on the Blueberry blog. This is Adam, the soon to be father of our little Blueberry and Kate's wonderful husband (shameless self plug there). As we enter the homestretch of our amazing journey I am filled with all sorts of thoughts. Most people know what the mother goes through (a lot), but hey, we fathers have feelings, too.

We have spent the better part of 6 months now trying to get ourselves and our house "baby ready." I don't think it will ever really happen, but I know that when our son finally arrives, everything will be okay, and we will learn on the fly. Furniture is arranged, closets are getting organized, and though our list still has a handful of to-dos on it, on the whole we are feeling pretty good. The major issue looming now is picking a name. While we have talked about potential names throughout our marriage, now it is officially "go time." I never really figured I would feel as much pressure as I do. I mean, this is the name our son is going to have for the rest of his life (unless of course he turns out to be the next Prince, or the artist formerly known as Prince, or whatever he is called now). We have to pick a name that obviously we like, but also one that will grow with him and suit him for all ages. And then if we pick a name, there is the fear that he won't be a (insert chosen name here) when we meet him. Of course, if you know my wife you can probably guess that our son will have lots of monogrammed things, so this name swapping upon birth can't really happen. I guess I just never thought about the long term effects of this decision. My habitual indecision probably doesn't help much either...oh well. Maybe we will figure it out soon...

I also find myself absolutely fascinated by the whole pregnancy. I know people say it is a miracle and all that stuff...yada, yada, yada. It is so cliche. But going through it now, it is COMPLETELY true. It sounds so cheesy but just to sit back and think about what has happened, is happening, and will continue to happen, is absolutely mind blowing. I've watched Kate's belly grow, I've now seen Blueberry pushing and have felt him kicking. It really is awe inspiring, and truly a miracle. And in a few days I will get to see him one more time on film. Hopefully he will perform for us again as he has before. As we read in our books about what is happening to him in various weeks it is just crazy to think that "this week his heart is forming", or "now he can hear me." From what we read he is pretty much fully formed now, just growing, but still, to think that a baby came from nothing is pretty impressive, and in my mind it is most certainly a miracle.

And finally, there is my wife. I try to be helpful and do what I can to make her life easier and more comfortable, but at the end of the day she now has a bowling bowl strapped to her stomach, so really, how comfortable can that be? I'm sure once we hit 100 degrees in Dallas she will be looking for the closest pool, and I don't blame her. Blueberry is already a little furnace for her, so add to that the baking summer temps of Texas, and I'm sure Kate's tendency to always be cold is a temporary thing of the past. I can't pretend to know what she goes through or what it all feels like, but I can say that I am incredibly thankful for everything that is happening.

So on this Mother's Day weekend, we thank our mother's for everything they did for us, and now I thank my wife and soon to be mother for all that she has done and will do. This pregnancy thing is a little crazy, completely unknown, but totally amazing. I don't think anyone is ever fully prepared for it all, and I know I am not, but really, how hard can it be, right? We have three more months to figure things out, and if we don't, it doesn't really matter, because Blueberry is coming anyway.
Now, let's start thinking about Father's Day...

No comments:

Post a Comment